Saturday, July 4, 2009

Refuge. When We Look For Refuge Where Do We Find It?

What is refuge anyway? My husband gave me a verse that started me thinking.

Proverbs 22:3 "A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it".

First of all, prudent means= cautious, careful, judicious (which means wise).
danger means exposure to injury or evil
refuge means shelter;asylum (which is a sanctuary); a place of safety.
simple means simple-minded (mentally weak).
suffers means undergoes pain, punishment; sustains a loss.

A cautious, careful, wise person sees exposure to injury or evil and takes shelter (a place of safety). A mentally weak person keeps going his way, undergoes pain, punishment, sustains a loss.

All of Psalm 91 talks about God being our refuge in the NIV version of the Bible.
Psalm 27:1 "The Lord is my light and my salvation, of whom shall I fear? The Lord is the refuge and stronghold of my life, of who shall I be afraid?
Nahum 1:7 "Jehovah is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and He knoweth them that take refuge in Him."
Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength,a very present help in trouble.
Deuteronomy 33:27 "The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. He will drive out your enemy before you,saying,'Destroy him!'.
Proverbs 14:26 "In the fear of the Lord is strong confidence,and His children shall have a place of refuge."
Hebrews 6:18 "that by two immutable things,in which it is impossible for God to lie, we may have a strong encouragement, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us."

I have come up with several verses pertaining to 'God' as being our 'refuge'. I know there is more, if you come up with one I don't have, please put it in comments below.

I think what God is trying to tell us here is "When we see evil (in our lives, in this world, in our government, etc. ), to take refuge in Him. He is our shelter, our sanctuary, our place of safety. If we are mentally weak (simple-minded) and follow 'go' our own way, we will sustain a loss, the pain of bad judgement and possibly punishment!

This does not mean that we should not stand up to evil. God tells us to put on our armor in Ephesians 6 and also to be good citizens in 1 Peter 2:13-17.
Just that we have a place to go when we are exposed to it, when it is all around us. Remember this, when life is closing in all around you and you feel you are trapped in a world of evil.....The Lord is my refuge and high tower when I am oppressed, a refuge and stronghold in time of trouble.Psalm 9:9.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful Bible verses,keep up the great Bible Lessons

Anonymous said...

I had a really bad day today and I really needed to read that scripture. Sometimes when we get wrapped up in life we forget God.

When we are angry or upset we forget God.

That is what I did today forgot God!

Thanks for reminding me that God is my refuge! Stumble Ya

Unknown said...

I am sorry I clicked anonymous by accident.

Unknown said...

Thank you! You have just become an encourager, an exhorter!