Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Do you know God's meaning for the word love?

Not the gooey feely kind of love you see around us today. We throw that word around now like a sack of potatoes to describe anything. From our love of desserts to love of a game. Let's take a look at the word 'love' as it says in the dictionary.
One of the definitions of 'love' is 'benevolence'.
Benevolence means "disposition to do good",
disposition means "the act of disposing",
and 'dispose' means "to determine".
Putting it together in the simplest terms above. Love is 'determine to do good'.
You determine (you choose) to do good (you act on it).
Love is a choice and an action not a feeling.
1 John 4:7-8 "Dear Friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, Because God is love."
Love is not a feeling. It is a choice and an action. It's unselfishness.

God chose us for His children, took the action of sending His Son to die for us! Wow!

I have to choose to love. It doesn't come naturally. I don't feel it. I don't see it. I have to choose to take the action. I have to determine to do good!
So..... when Jesus says love your enemies, that means I have to determine to do good to them.
I can't do this without His help so once I choose, He helps me take the action! Then I feel His goodness (His peaceable fruit of righteousness). Immeasurable peace of being right with God!
Showing love (determining to do good) to everyone who comes in your path is a way of life.
The way of life.
His way of life.




No comments: